The hydro-thermal experiences in the St Michaels Spa use heat and cold to soothe, relax and detoxify the body.
The concept of moving between different levels of heat and cold dates back to the ancient Greeks and Romans, has been used by indigenous people in Central and North America, and was popular throughout Europe in the 1500s, but just how does the combination of hot and cold experiences benefit the body?
- The benefits of heat: Heat treatments help to cleanse the skin by opening pores, stimulate circulation, open airways to relieve headaches, and soothe muscles to encourage better mobility.
- The benefits of cold: Cold treatments help to refine hair and skin, improve immunity and circulation, and speed up muscle soreness and recovery.
- Wet treatment benefits: The use of wet treatments such as steam rooms can help relieve the body of unwanted toxins which can reduce one’s chances of certain illnesses.
- Benefits of dry treatments: The use of dry treatments such as our outdoor barrel sauna can relieve tension and stress, stimulate blood circulation, and help rejuvenate skin through perspiration.
- Contrast therapy benefits: Using hot and cold contrast therapy moves nutrient-rich blood into the body and pumps out any waste products. In the heated elements, blood vessels dilate and nutrient-rich blood flows through the body, in cold elements blood vessels constrict, drawing blood to the body’s core, bringing nutrients to your organs.
Experience the benefits of hydro-thermal therapies personally, and book in for a 3-hour session from £35per person. Please note that you should avoid heat treatments if you think you may be pregnant, have diabetes, or have circulation, heart, or respiratory problems.